Charter

Properties
ID 40
System Class

Relations

Sources (134)
Name Class Description
A decision of Theophylaktos Dermokaites from July 1366 Source Theophylaktos Dermokaites, the general judge of the Romans, issued a decision concerning the case between Stephanos Kalothetos, Alexios Dukas Raul and the Batopedi Monastery in June 1366.
Act of the Domestikos of the themes Konstantinos Makrenos from August 1334 1334 Source Konstantinos Makrenos, the Domestikos of the themes, issued an act in August 1334, where he conferred upon Gerbasios the pronoia of Lependrenos, which was held by Kasandrenos.
Act of the apographeus Manuel Manglabites for Ioannes Sguros Orestes Source In 1319/1320 or perphaps in 1304/1305 Manuel Manglabites, the apographeus of the thema Melenikos, issued an act for the benefit of Ioannes Sguros Orestes.
Actes d'Iviron IV Source The edition "Actes d'Iviron IV" contains charters by the Byzantine Emperors and Serbian rulers in favour of the Monastery of Iberon on Mount Athos.
Actes de Chilandar I Source The edition "Actes de Chilandar I" contains charters by the Byzantine Emperors in favour of the Monastery of Chilandar on Mount Athos.
Actes de Chilandar I (old) Source The edition "Actes de Chilandar I" contains charters by the Byzantine Emperors in favour of the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos.
Actes de Chilandar II (old) Source The edition "Actes de Chilandar II" contains charters by the Serbian rulers in favour of the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos.
Appointment deed for Meletios Source In the time period from 1301 to 1361 a not named patriarch appointed Meletios as Abbot of the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa near Melnik.
Arhiljevica 1 Source The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) confirmed the foundation of the Church of the Presentation of the Holy Mother of God by Sebastokrator Dejan in the village of Arhiljevica and its landed property. The original charter has not come upon us, and its content is preserved only in two later transcripts. The older one (Hilandar 36) is probably an authentic transcript, but its dating is questionable, because it contradicts historical circumstances known from other reliable sources. Therefore, the date, when the lost orginal was issued, can only be approximated to the years 1354 or 1355. Hilandar 150/152 differs from its predecessor in the dispositional section, containing two previously unmentioned villages, which do not appear even in the charter by the Serbian Empress Jevdokija and her son Konstantin Dragaš from 1378/79. It was made in the 15th century or later with the intent of obtaining or confirming the enlargement of Chilandar's Arhiljevica metochion.
Arhiljevica 2 Source This charter was issued in 1378/79 by the Serbian Empress Jevdokija and her son Konstantin Dragaš, through which they donated the Church of the Presentation of the Holy Mother of God in the village of Arhiljevica together with its possessions to the Hilandar Monastery on the Holy Mount Athos.
Banjska Hrisovulja Source King Stefan Uroš II and his brother Stefan Dragutin rebuilt the church of St. Stephen in the Banjska Monastery. By doing so, the brothers gave several allowances and privileges to the monastery. These privileges contain the Stauropegion for the monastery and a seat for the monastery's abbot in the Sbor or royal council.
Boundary Description by the judge Michalis Ioskules (1371) Source In the year 1371 the judge Michalis Ioskules made a boundary description in the valley of the river Strumica for the Monasteries of Hilandar and Hagios Panteleimon on Mount Athos commissioned by the Serbian Despot Jovan Uglješa.
Charter concerning the return of the posession in the village Hagios Georgios to the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa in Melnik from May 1304 Source In May 1304 the unlawfully taken small possession (κτῆμα μικρὸν) Hagios Georgios near the village Hostrobos in the size of two yokes (εἰς τὸ̣ν Ἅγιον Γεώργιον, πο̣σουμενον γῆ ζευγαρίων δύο εἰς ὑπέρπυρα τέσσαρα... εἰς τὴν περιοχὴν εὑρισκόμενον τοῦ Ὁστροβοῦ ἐπιλεγώμενον) was given back to the Monastery of the Mother of God Spelaiotissa in Melnik. The possession belonged to the monastery according to the records of the thema Melenikos (ἐν τῶ τοῦ Μελλενίκου θέματος). The boundaries of the possession were examined in the presence of Gerasimos, the Abbot of the Monastery of the Mother of God Spelaiotissa in Melnik and the inhabitants of the village Hostrobos (ἀπὸ τὸ χωρίον τοῦ Ὁστροβοῦ ἄνδρες ἀξιόπιστοι ουκ ὀλίγοι) and the people from Hagios Georgios (ἀπὸ τὸν Ἅγιον Γεώργιον). The boundaries of the possession reached as far as the plot Potokos, where the river Struma flowed through and the plot Philippu (ἕως τὸν λεγόμενον Πότοκον, ἔνθα διἤρχετο ὁ Στρύμμων, καὶ ἀπ’ αὐτοῦ διέ̣ρ̣χετ̣αι τὴν ἄμμον μέχρι τοῦ λεγωμένου Φιλιππου).
Charter concerning the sale of a plot of land in Chomnos Stolos Source In June 1355 a charter concerning the sale of a plot of land in Chomnos Stolos was issued.
Charter of Stefan Uroš III Dečanski for the Monastery of Sv. Nikola in Orehovo Source On 9 September 1330 the Serbian King Stefan Uroš III Dečanski (reigned 1322-1331) issued a Slavonic charter for the Monastery of Sv. Nikola in Orehovo. Therein, he reports that he had refurbished the monastery. Moreover, the Serbian King confirmed existing possesions of the monastery and donated to the monastery new privileges and landed property in the vicinity of Sofia and the upper valley of the river Struma.
Charter of Theodoros Tzimpeas from April 1304 Source Theodoros Tzimpeas came before April 1304 from Melnik to Longos in Chalkidiki and donated his possessions in Longos and elsewhere to the Monastery Lavra on Mount Athos.
Charter of the King of Sicily, Charles I. Anjou for the Sevastos Paulus Gropa Source The King of Sicily, Charles I Anjou, issued the charter for the Sevastos Paulus Gropa on the 18. 5. 1273 on account of his accomplished services.
Charter of the King of Sicily, Charles I. Anjou for the local representative in Durazzo Narzo de Toucy Source The King of Sicily, Charles I Anjou, issued on the 19th June 1274 a charter for Narzo de Toucy, the local representative in Durazzo.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Co-Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos for the Hilandar Monastery from March 1319 Source The Byzantine Co-Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos issued in March 1319 a charter for the Monastery of Hilandar with the same wording as the charter of the Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX Palaiologos from March 1319.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX Palaiologos for the Hilandar Monastery from March 1319 Source The Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX. Palaiologos issued in March 1319 a chrysobull charter with the similar content to the chrysobull charter of Andronikos II. from March 1319.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos for Leon Koteanitzes from 1293 Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos issued a charter in 1293, in which he donated the land in in Preasnitza to Leon Koteanitzes in appreciation of his military service.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos for the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos on Mount Menoikeus near Serres from June 1309 Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos confirmed in June 1309 the possessions of the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos on Mount Menoikeus near Serres.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos granting to Zographou Monastery a tax exemption Source The Bulgarian Tsar Michael Asen IV requested the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos, who was his father-in-law, to grant for all possessions of the Zographou Monastery on Mount Athos a tax exemption. The Byzantine Emperor therefore issued in September 1327 a chrysobull charter, which corroborates all estates of the Zographou Monastery.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II for the Hilandar Monastery from March 1319 Source At the request of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin, the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II donated and confirmed in March 1319 the possessions of the Hilandar Monastery around the river Strymon and in the Melnik region.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II for the pansebastos sebastos Ioannes Orestes from August 1323 Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos confirmed in 1323 the possessions of the pansebastos sebastos Ioannes Orestes.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II. Palaiologos for the Monastery Iberon on Mount Athos from June 1283 Source The Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II. Palaiologos from June 1283 confirmed the possessions of the Monastery Iberon on Mount Athos.
Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos corroborating the landed property of the Zographou Monastery Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos confirmed the landed property of the Zographou Monastery in March 1328.
Chrysobull Charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Hilandar Monastery concerning the Metochion of Lozikion Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan sent at the request of Theōdul, the Hegumen of the Hilandar Monastery, his noblemen Kalavar and Branilo in order to deliminate the boundary of the Metochion in Lozikion. He confirmed their findings and endowed the metochion with other possessions in the chrysobull charter from 1347.
Chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX. Palaiologos for the Monastery Iberon from August 1310 Source The Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX. Palaiologos issued in August 1310 a chrysobull charter, in which he confirmed the possessions and the privileges of the Monastery of Iberon on Mount Athos.
Collective Charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin for the Hilandar Monastery Source Тhe chrysobull charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin (reigned 1282-1321) for the Tower of Hrusija of the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos, which confirmed the earlier possessions of the monastery, is dated to the years 1303-1304 (or after 1331). The charter is not preserved in its original form. The text survived in four transcripts, which all contain later interpolations.
Decision of the Patriarch of Constantinople Ioannes XIII Glykys and the Synod about the marriage between Konstantinos Palates and the daughter of Alamanina from 1315 Source The Patriarch of Constantinople Ioannes XIII. Glykys and the Synod granted divorce to the marriage of Konstantinos Palates and of the daughter of Alamanina in a decision decree from September or December 1315.
Deed of donation of Michael Elaiodorites Spanopulos for the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa near Melnik from the late 13th century or the beginning of the 14th century Source Michael Elaiodorites Spanopulos donated two mills in the lower town of Melnik to the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa near Melnik in return for the commemoration of Theodoros Komnenos Kantakuzenos and other relatives by the monks.
Deed of donation of the monk Arsenios Tzamplakon for the Batopedi Monastery from February 1355 Source The monk Arsenios Tzamplakon bequeathed in February 1355 their patrimonial estate in Prinarion with als its area and rights, dependent peasants, abandoned land, vineyards, mills, uncultivated land and pasture, a part of land in Vela, winter pasture in Thermopotamos, annual fair of Saint Symeon in Vela and the fortification called Slanesion/Sthlanesion to the Batopedi Monastery.
Deed of donation of the monk Arsenios Tzamplakon for the Batopedi Monastery from May 1356 Source In May 1356 the monk Arsenios Tzamplakon added houses and the Church of Holy Mother of God Kamariotissa in the Kataphyge quarter at Thessalonike, his part of the patrimonial land in the mouth of the river Galikos including salty soil, some dikaia near the sea till Chenaru and a tower to the endowment, which he donated before to the Batopedi Monastery.
Deed of donation of the nun Annesia for the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaion near Melnik Source The nun Annesia donated In the late 13th or in the beginning of the 14th century in memory of her deceased husband Theodoros Komenos Kantakuzenos, who lived in the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaion near Melnik, a ground with a mill in the lower town of Melnik and a vineyard in the village Dragnitza to the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaion near Melnik.
Deed of gift of Georgios Kontostephanos Kalameas and his wife Eirene Kontostephanina Kapantritissa for the Monastery of Iberon from December 1309 Source Georgios Kontostephanos Kalameas and his wife Eirene Kontostephanina Kapantritissa donated the Monastery of Saint George tu Kalamea with vineyard, fields, courtyard, meadow, mill and with the Church of Saint Panteleemon, which was endowed by Georgios Kontostephanos Kalameas, to the Monastery of Iberon. The deed of this gift was composed in December 1309.
Deed of sale of Demetrios Dukas Sulumpertes and his wife Source The deed of sale between Demetrios Dukas Sulumpertes and the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Pantanassa concerning the land at Slataritzos was issued in April 1344.
Deed of sale of Dragias and his daughter to the Theodoros Tetragonites from May 1286 Source Dragias and his daughter Theodora sold several properties to Theodoros Tetragonites, which was confirmed by a charter from May 1286.
Deed of sale of Ioannes and his uncle Prodilas as well as of Ioannes, his wife Kale and his brother-in-law Ioannes to the sebastos Theodoros Tetragonites from January 1286 Source Ioannes and his uncle Prodilas and also Ioannes, with his wife Kale and with his brother-in-law Ioannes sold their properties to the sebastos Theodoros Tetragonites, which was confirmed by a charter from January 1286.
Deed of sale of Theodoros and his family to the Sebastos Theodoros Tetragonites from June 1286 Source Theodoros and his family sold several properties to Theodoros Tetragonites, which was confirmed by a charter from June 1286.
Donation deed of the pinkernissa Anna Tornikina in favour of the Megas Stratopedarches Alexios and the Megas Primikerios Ioannes for the Pantokrator Monastery from August 1358 Source Anna Tornikina owned a domain at Beltzista in the region of Zabaltia. She became the domain as a dowry from her father. This property was in 1358 in the hands of the Serbs. She promised a half of her possession to the Pantokrator Monastery in August 1358, because their founders, Megas Stratopedarches Alexios and Megas Primikerios Ioannes, were succesfull in reconquering the land from the Serbs in the area between Christupolis and the mouth of the Strymon. Anna Tornikina expected that they could also recover her domain.
Donation of Evdokija Source Donation of possessions of the noblewoman Evdokija and her sons Jovan and Konstantin Dragaš to the Monastery of Hagios Panteleimon. The charter was issued in town of Strumica in 1376/1377.
Donation of Kalabaris Source Kalabaris, the nobleman of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan, donated the river Plumiska to the Lavra Monastery on Holy Mount Athos in 1350/1351.
First Charter of the Dečani Monastery Source This is the First Charter by King Stefan Uroš III Dečanski (1321-1331) to the Dečani Monastery.
Forged chrysobull charter attributed to Ioannes V Palaiologos for the Zographou Monastery Source The chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos for the Zographou Monastery on Mount Athos is dated in the text to January 1342, but it was forged between the years 1357 and 1372.
Fragmentary note 1 on the back of the charter of the Serbian Stefan King Uroš IV Dušan for the Church of the Holy Mother of God Peribletos in Ōhrid Source On the back of the charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Church of the Holy Mother of God Peribleptos in Ōhrid is a fragmentary text from the 14th century concerning the possessions of the church.
Fragmentary note 2 on the back of the charter of the Serbian Stefan King Uroš IV Dušan for the Church of the Holy Mother of God Peribletos in Ōhrid Source On the back of the charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Church of the Holy Mother of God Peribleptos in Ōhrid is a fragmentary text from the 14th century concerning the possessions of the church.
Inventory of the properties belonging to the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa in Melnik Source The Serbian Despot Joan Uglješa donated the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa in Melnik with its properties to the Monastery of Batopedi on Mount Athos in January 1365. On this occassion the inventory of all possession was isssued.
Karbinci Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed the donation of the village Karbince for the Monastery of Hilandar in June 1355.
Konče 1 Source On 9 May (?) 1366 the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš V (reigned 1355–1371) confirmed the possession of the Church of St. Steven in the village of Konče to the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos with all its villages in the vicinity as donated by the Great Vojvode (Veliki Vojvoda) Nikola Stanjević.
Konče 2 Source The register of property of the Church of Saint Stephen in the village of Konče from 1366 listed serfs, vineyards, fruit trees, croplands, cleared land and meadows in four villages, which were subordinated to the Hilandar Monastery.
Kožle Source On 1 September 1352 or 1353 the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) granted the Church of Saint Nicholas on the river Pčinja beneath the fortress of Kožle with a chrysobull to the Metropolitan Jakob of Serres. After his death the rights should devolve to the Monastery of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel near Prizren.
Lesnovo 2 Source In 1346/47 the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued the foundation charter of the Bishopric of Zletovo, by which the Monastery of Lesnovo was defined as its see.
Lesnovo 3 Source On 15 August 1381 the Serbian nobleman Konstantin Dragaš issued a charter donating the Monastery of Lesnovo to the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos.
Lěskovljani Charter Source On 10 August 1354 the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued this charter for the Monastery of Hilandar, in which he confirmed the donation of the village of Lěskovljani by the lady Višeslava and her sons Bogdan and Bogoje to the Monastery of Hilandar.
Melnik 1 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš V (reigned 1355–1371) confirmed in a chrysobull in May 1356, together with his mother, the Empress Jelena-Jelisaveta, the possession of the Church of Saint Nicholas in the town of Melnik with its landed property to the Metropolitan Kiril.
Mračka gramota Source The Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Aleksandar (reigned 1331-1371) issued his charter (the so-called Mračka gramota or Orjahovska gramota) for the Monastery of Sv. Nikola Mrački (Pešterski manastir) on 1 December 1347. Therein, he confirmed and donated possessions as well as privileges to the monastery.
Papal Charter of Innocent IV rel. to the archbishopric of Bar, 1252 Source A papal charter issued by the pope Innocent IV., wherein he asks the bishop of Ancona to prove the witness' testimonies about the jurisdictional dispute between the archbishops of Ragusa and Antivari as well as their episcopal suffragans, which had been submitted to him by the bishop of Sabina. For the original document abstract in German see: https://www.monasterium.net/mom/AT-AES/Urkunden/2110/charter
Periorismoi of Demetrios Apelmene for the Lavra Monastery Source The Apographeus Demetrios Apelmene signed in February 1300 the description of the property in the thema of Thessalonike, which belonged to the Lavra Monastery.
Pološko Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan donated in February 1340 the Church of Saint George to the Hilandar Monastery.
Praktikon issued in January 1342 by Michal Papylas Romanos Source Ioannes Margarites was the recipient of a confiscated land from Arsenios Tzamplakon located between Serres and Zichna and of a zeugelateion, which belonged to Kantakuzenos, near Zichna. He became these estates with the revenue of 55 hyperpyra and was fully exempted from paying taxes (κῦρ Ἰωάννην τὸν Μαργαρίτην ἀπὸ τῆς περὶ τὰ Ζίχνα καὶ τὰς Σέῤῥας ἀφαιρεθείσης ἀρτίως οἰκονομίας παρὰ τοῦ Τζαμπλάκωνος κυροῦ Ἀρσενίου, ἔτι δὲ καὶ ἀπὸ τοῦ περὶ τὰ Ζίχνα διακειμένου ζευγηλατείου τοῦ Καντακουζηνοῦ, ποσότητα ὑπερπύρων πεντήκοντα πέντε, καὶ κατέχῃ καὶ νέμηται ταύτην ἐλευθέραν πάντη καὶ ἀκαταδούλωτον). The charter, which was also an inventory of his property, was issued in January 1342 by Michal Papylas Romanos.
Praktikon of Demetrios Apelmene Source The Apographeus Demetrios Apelmene issued in March 1301 the Praktikon for the Monastery of Iberon, where he compiled at the behest of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos the possessions of the monastery in the thema Thessalonike.
Praktikon of Konstantinos Kunales, Demetrios Kontenos and Leon Kalognomos Source The Apographeis Konstantinos Kunales, Demetrios Kontenos and Prokathemenos Leon Kalognomos registered all possessions and dependant people of the Iberon Monastery in the thema Thessalonike and issued in November 1318 the respective praktikon for the monastery.
Praktikon of Konstantinos Pergamenos and Georgios Pharissaios Source The Apographeis Konstantinos Pergamenos and Georgios Pharissaios registered all possessions and dependant people of the Iberon Monastery in the thema Thessalonike and issued in November 1318 the respective praktikon for the monastery.
Praktikon of Michael Neokaisareites Source The Apographeus Michael Neokaisareites carried out in September 1318 at the behest of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos a list of possessions and dependant people at the village Leipsochorion and Eunuchu, which belonged to the Hilandar Monastery.
Praktikon of the Protokynegos Ioannes Batatzes for the Eparchos Michael Monomachos Source The Protokynegos Ioannes Batatzes issued in January 1333 at the behest of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos a praktikon for the Eparchos Michael Monomachos.
Prostagma Charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Hilandar Monastery Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan issued the prostagma charter in order to confirm proprietorial rights of the Hilandar Monastery over an area in the Strumica region. The charter might have been written between 1349 and 1353.
Prostagma Charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan from September 1352 Source Alexios Dukas Raul donated a land to the Asomatos metochion, which belonged to the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos near Serres. The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed the gift of Alexios to the monastery in a prostagma charter from September 1352.
Prostagma charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos for Demetrios Kokalas from December 1350 Source The Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V. Palaiologos gave in December 1350 several landed estates to Demetrios Kokalas in addition to his oikonomia. He mandated Georgios Isaris with Manuel Chageres to execute the task.
Prostagma charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos for Ioannes Margarites from October 1342 Source The possession of Ioannes Margarites at Kato Uska and Rachoba was declared exempt from taxes and hereditary by the prostagma of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V. Palaiologos from October 1342. It consisted of arable land and vineyards. Ioannes Margarites payed for the former estates of Tzako [...] most probably Arsenios Tzamplakos 9 Nomismata.
Prostagma of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II to the Despot Konstantinos Palaiologos from February 1321 Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II addressed in February 1321 the command to the Despot Konstantinos Palaiologos to banish a certain Pululon from the summer pasture Matzista, which belonged to the Monastery of Hilandar.
Prostagma of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan intented for Kallinikos Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan issued the prostagma intented for the Kallinikos, the Hegumen of the Hilandar Monastery, on the 1th January 1348.
Psača Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) gave in 1354/1355 permission to his nobleman Vlatko Paskačić to donate the Church of Saint Nicholas (Sveti Nikola) in Psača, which Vlatko had erected on the inherited property (baština) of his father, together with the appertaining metochion to the Hilandar Monastery (I vьspomenu carstvu mi prěvьzljubljenʼny i pravověrnii vlastelinь carstva mi Vladko ō crьkvy svetago Nikoly jaže jestь sьzdalь na svoōi baštině Pʼsači a sь blagoslovljenijemь carstva mi...i poljubi prěd carstvomʼ mi i priloži svoju baštinu crьkvь svetago Nikoli na Psači prěsvetěi Bogorodici hilandarьskoi sь vsěmь metehōmь).
Rila Monastery Rilska gramota Source The Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Šišman issued his charter (the so-called Rilska gramota) for the Monastery of St. John (Ivan) of Rila on 21 September 1378. Therein, he confirmed existing and donated new possessions as well as privileges to the monastery.
Skopje Monastery of St. George 1 Source The Bulgarian Tsar Konstantin I Asen (reigned 1257-1277) confirmed previous donations of properties and people to the Monastery of St. George-Gorg near Skopje and added his own. The charter is dated to the years of his reign (1257/58-1277).
Skopje Monastery of St. George 2 Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin (reigned 1282–1321) issued this charter after the refurbishment of the Monastery of St. George-Gorg near Skopje in the year 1300. He confirmed the donations given to the monastery by former Byzantine, Bulgarian and Serbian rulers. Finally, King Milutin also granted new privileges, landed property and population to the respective monastery.
Skopje Monastery of St. George 3 Source In 1376/77 the Serbian nobleman Vuk Branković donated the Monastery of St. George-Gorg near Skopje to the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos at the request of his brother Gerasim, who was monk in the latter.
Skopje Sveti Nikita 1 Source In ca. 1299/1300 the Byzantine Co-Emperor Michael IX Palaiologos (reigned 1295-1320) issued a charter for the Tower of Hrusija (Pyrgos Basileiu) of the Monastery of Chilandar on the Holy Mount Athos, through which the possessions of the Monastery of Sveti Nikita in and near Skopje were confirmed.
Skopje Sveti Nikita 2 Source In ca. 1299/1300 (or 1308?) the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos (reigned 1282-1328) confirmed, at the instigation of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin (reigned 1282-1321), the possessions of the Monastery of Sveti Nikita near Skopje for the Tower of Hrusija (Pyrgos Basileiu) of the Monastery of Chilandar on the Holy Mount Athos. This charter is only preserved in a Serbian translation. It seems plausible that Andronikos II had also issued a Greek charter in the years 1299/1300, because a parallel Byzantine charter on this topic is preserved by his Co-Emperor Michael IX Palaiologos (reigned 1295-1320), which was issued most probably in the years 1299/1300 and in which most of the mentioned places had also been donated.
Stefan Uroš II Milutin's Charter concerning the rank order of Serbian bishops and abbots Source The Serbian king Stefan Uroš II Milutin together with archbishop Nikodim confirm the hierarchical order of the bishops and abbots of the most significant serbian bishoprics and monasteries. The charter was issued after the appointment of Nikodim (12.5.1317) and before the dead of the king Stefan Uroš II Milutin.
Stefan Uroš II Milutin's Charter for the Monastery of Gračanica Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin issued a charter for the Monastery of Gračanica. The original is not preserved. The text of the charter is known from the fresco of the diaconicon of the Monastarey of Gračanica. Due to this fact the date of issue is disputed. The year 1315 or 1321 comes into consideration.
Stefan Uroš II Milutin's Charter for the Tower of Hrusija of the Monastery of Hilandar Source The original of the chrysobull charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uros II Milutin is not preserved. The text of the document is known from an interpolated charter, which was issued between the end of the year 1313 and 26 July 1316 and from a forged charter, which can be dated on the ground of the used water mark between the years 1334 and 1336.
Stefan Uroš II Milutin's Charter for the city of Dubrovnik Source The Serbian king Stefan Uroš II Milutin donated a vineyard and an arable land to the city of Dubrovnik, which was in the possession of Dubrovnik already in the reign of Stefan Uroš I. The charter, which bears no date, was issued in the time of the knez (comes) Marin Đorđi (Marinus Zorzi), thus in 1288/1289. The charter was signed in Prizren in the presence of the sluga Dragoslav and Budislav Hvalьčikь.
Stefan Uroš III Dečanski's Charter for the Bishopric of Prizren Source King Stefan Uroš III Dečanski granted a chrysobull Charter to the Bishopric of Prizren. Although the charter is not dated, Siniša Mišić proposes, that it was written in April 1326.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter for the Carian Cell of Saint Sava in Jerusalem (Hil. 31) Source The Emperor Stefan Uroš IV. Dušan granted the village of Kosorići for the Carian Cell of Saint Sava in Jerusalem. The authentic charter was issued between august 1347 (terminus post quem) and the year 1348.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter for the Church of the Holy Mother of God Peribleptos in Ohrid Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan issued a charter for the Holy Mother of God Peribleptos in the town of Ohrid in the period from 1342 until 1345.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter for the Monastery of the Holy Virgin in Htětovo Source King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter given to the Polog Monastery of Bogorodica Htětovska (Monastery of the Holy Virgin of Htetovo), well known as the Htětovo`s Charter. The Charter was issued between 24 September 1345 – 15 October 1345 (as terminus ante quem), when Stefan Dušan already started to use title “Master of almost the entire Empire of Romania” and for terminus post quem to be the period after the summer/autumn of 1343 when Stefan Dušan started using for the first time the title “Master and/or King of Greek lands”.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter for the monastery of Hilandar concerning the nobleman Rudlь Source The Serbian king Stefan Uroš IV Dušan subordinated the nobleman Rudlь from Strumica to the monastery of Hilandar. The charter bears the date of the year 1345, but according to Siniša Mišić this date should be correlated with the stated indiction and therefore corrected into the year 1343.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's Charter for the nobleman Ivanko Proběštitōvikь Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed and certified, that the bought estates in and outside the town of Štip, the Church of St. John the Baptist in Štip and several subjects are part of the patrimony of the nobleman Ivanko Proběštitōvikь and his family. The charter was issued on 28. 5. 1350.
Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's General Charter for the Monastery of Hilandar Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan's issued the so-called "General Charter (Opšta hrisovulja)" to the Monastery of Hilandar, through which he confirmed all previous donations and records of the land-inventory of the monastery. Although the charter bears the date 1348, it is with the utmost probability not an original. Lidija Slaveva considers the charter to be a copy that was written after the year 1365.
Ston 1 Source The Serbian king Stefan Uroš IV Dušan has ceded Ston, Rat and Posrednjica to the commune of the town Dubrovnik. The charter, which is describing this legal act, was issued on 22.01.1333 and is preserved only in two later transcripts.
Svetoarhandjelovska hrisovulja Source In or soon after 1347/48 the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued the so-called "Svetoarhandjelovska hrisovulja" in favour of the Monastery of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel near Prizren. This charter mentions several Vlach and Albanian katuns.
The Act of Gerbasios, the Abbot of the Hilandar Monastery, from March 1335 Source Gerbasios, the Abbot of the Hilandar Monastery, donated in March 1335 the oikonomia of 40 hyperpera at the village Chudena. The estate was a former possession of Kasandrenos. It was temporarily in the hands of Lependrenos.
The Charter of Danilь, the Bishop of Vodoča and Strumica, and Grigorije, the Bishop of Banьska Source Danilь, the Bishop of Vodoča and Strumica, and Grigorije, the Bishop of Banьska settled in 1375/1376 at the behest of the Serbian Despots Jovan Dragaš and his brother Konstantin Dragaš several land disputes in the area of Strumica.
The Charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan to Anagnost Dragoje Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan issued the charter for Anagnost Dragoje in Skopje on 21th May 1349.
The Chrysobull charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Esphigmenu Monastery from April/May 1346 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed in April/May 1346 the possessions of the Esphigmenu Monastery and returned to them a part of the village Portarea in the Chalkidike, which was previously held by Anataulas.
The Decision of Protaton on Mount Athos from December 1370 Source The Protaton on Mount Athos gathered in December 1370 at the behest of the Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) ruled the dispute over the village of Mpresnitza in favour of the Hilandar Monastery.
The Serbian Despot Jovan Dragaš and his brother Konstantin Dragaš confirming the donation to the Hilandar Monastery on the Holy Mount Athos Source The Serbian Despot Jovan Dragaš and his brother Konstantin Dragaš confirmed on the 1th June 1377, that the Čelnik Stanislav donated the Church of Sveti Vlasija (Saint Blaise) with other possessions to the Hilandar Monastery.
The Serbian Despot Jovan Dragaš and his brother Konstantin Dragaš confirming the donation to the Monastery Hagios Panteleemon on the Holy Mount Athos after 1376/1377 Source The Serbian Despot Jovan Dragaš and his brother Konstantin Dragaš confirmed after 1376/1377 the donation of several possessions in the area of the Strumica river to the Monastery Hagios Panteleemon on the Holy Mount Athos.
The act of the Serbian Despot of Ioan Uglješa to the Monastery of Batopedi from 1369/1371 Source The Serbian Despot Joan Uglješa gave the selište located between the village Akrotirion and the river Plumiska as a tax-free property to the Monastery of Batopedi with all rights. He issued a charter on this occasion probably between 1369 and 1371.
The act of the ecclesiastical court in Serres from October 1366 Source The ecclesiastical court at Serres rejected in October 1366 the claims of megas primikerios Georgios Isaris. He required the sum, which Georgios Stanisas, his son-in-law, paid in order to obtain adelphata. When Stanisas died, Isaris tried to get the money of his son-in-law back. He did not even hesitate to forge documents related to the affair.
The charter of Demetrios Dukas Kabasilas from March 1369 Source The Megas Pappias Demetrios Dukas Kabasilas issued in March 1369 at request of the monks of Zographu Monastery a written account of the circumstances concerning the exchange of land, which belonged to the Sarabare Monastery.
The charter of Iakobos, the Metropolitan of Serres, about the boundaries of the metochion of the Philotheou Monastery from December 1355 Source Iakobos, the Metropolitan of Serres, summoned a commision in order to establish exact boundaries of the metochion of the Philotheu Monastery in Kremna and Tzainou. He issued a charter with the findings of the commision in December 1355.
The charter of Iakobos, the Metropolitan of Serres, for the Hilandar Monastery from November 1360 Source Several local nobleman, which lived in the vicinity of the metochion Saint Nicholas in Kamenikaia, took in possesion some of its estates. Iakobos returned the unjustly annexed lands to the Hilandar Monastery in November 1360.
The charter of Paulos, the Metropolitan of Zichna, for the Hilandar Monastery from November 1378 Source Paulos, The Metropolitan of Zichna, and the ecclesiastical court terminated in November 1378 the conflict over the watermill at Chantax in favour of the Hilandar Monastery.
The charter of protovestiarites Ioannes Dukas from September 1344 Source The protovestiarites Ioannes Dukas arranged in September 1344 the return of an unjustly confiscated landed estates to the Athonite Monastery of Docheiariu.
The charter of the Patriarch of Constantinople Philotheos Kokkinos for the Monastery Theotokos Kataphygion from May 1371 Source Philotheos Kokkinos, the Patriarch of Constantinople, declared at Kallistos Angelikues’ request his foundation, the Monastery Theotokos Kataphygion near Melnik, a starouropegial monastery in May 1371.
The charter of the Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) for the starьcь duhovьnikь kyrь Daniilь Source The Serbian Despot Joan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) confirmed on 29th May 1369 the donation of Kaisar Boichnas (Vojihna) for the starьcь duhovьnikь kyrь Daniilь.
The charter of veliki sluga Jovan Oliver in favour of the Monastery of Saint Demetrius in Kočane Source Jovan Oliver, the veliki sluga of the Serbian Lands and Pomorje (Iōanь veliki sluga Ōliverь vьse srpskie zemlie i pomorskie), issued a charter for the Monastery of Saint Demetrius in Kočane on 7th December between the years 1332-1341.
The chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos for Gerbasios, the Abbot of the Hilandar Monastery Source The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos donated in July 1334 the estates in the village Chudena to Gerbasios, the Abbot of the Hilandar Monastery. The former possessions of Kasandrenos were at that time held by Lependrenos. Gerbasios should compensate Lependrenos with an estate in equal value.
The chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos for the Batopedi Monastery from September 1356 Source The Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos confirmed in September 1356 at the request of the Batopedi Monastery community their possession and privileges.
The chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos for the stratopedarches Ioannes Chumnos from November 1344 Source In November 1344 the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos donated several lands to the stratopedarches Ioannes Chumnos for his fidelity.
The chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes VI Kantakuzenos for the Batopedi Monastery from December 1349 Source The Byzantine Emperor Ioannes VI Kantakuzenos confirmed in December 1349 the delivery of the Monastery Theotokos Psychosostria in Constantinople to the Batopedi Monastery with all property and tax exemption.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) for the Monastery Simonos Petras on the Holy Mount Athos from 1368 Source The Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) issued a chrysobull charter for the Monastery Simonos Petras on the Holy Mount Athos in 1368. The charter is preserved only in a copy produced in 1622/1623 during the Patriarchate of Kyrillos Lukaris.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) for the Monastery of Kutlumus from April 1369 Source The Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) issued the chrysobull charter for the Monastery of Kutlumus on the Mount Athos in April 1369.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for Georgios Batatses Phokopulos from May 1352 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan permitted in May 1352 Georgios Batatses Phokoulos to donate his zeugelateion at Lestiane and Tumba to the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos near Serres.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Batopedi Monastery from April 1348 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed in April 1348 the old privileges of the Batopedi Monastery. He also donated new landed estates to the monastery.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Esphigmenu Monastery from December 1347 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan returned in December 1347 the former monastic possessions in the village Krusobos to the Esphigmenu Monastery.
The chrysobull charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos near Serres from October 1345 Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed the estates, rights and privileges of the Monastery of Saint John Prodromos near Serres. The chrysobull charter was issued in October 1345.
The decision of the court summoned by the Metropolitan of Serres from August 1365 Source The dispute over a plot of land in the village Zetinon (Zintzu) and a Church of Saint George was decided by a court summoned by Sabas, the Metropolitan of Serres, in favor of the Esphigmenu Monastery against the Kastamonitu Monastery. The decision of the court was issued in August 1365.
The decision of the judicial panel summoned by the Metropolitan of Serres from August 1375 Source The judicial panel summoned by Theodosios, the Metropolitan of Serres, confirmed the claim of the convent of Alopu on Mount Athos on the land Klopotitza. The document on this occasion was issued in August 1375.
The decree of the Patriarch of Constantinople Makarios for Gregorios, the Metropolitan of Philippupolis, from 1379 Source Makarios, the Patriarch of Constantinople, ordered in 1379 Gregorios, the Metropolitan of Philippupolis, to investigate the case of the mill, which was constructed by the Miller Ioannes Mylonas on the property of the Monastery of the Holy Mother of God Spelaiotissa near Melnik.
The deed of sale of the protostrator Theodoros Dukas Palaiologos Komnenos Synadenos from December 1333 Source The protostrator Theodoros Dukas Palaiologos Komnenos Synadenos sold in December 1333 a watermill with a 50 modioi large property at the village Kremna near Zichna to the Hilandar Monastery.
The donation deed of Konstantinos Palaiologos Laskaris for the Saint Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos from June 1374 Source Konstantinos Palaiologos Laskaris inherited the village Mpresnitza near the town of Strumica from his mother. His father donated in 1364 the village Mpresnitza to the Saint Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos. The monks from the Hilandar Monastery accused his father of unlawful seizure of their land. Konstantinos Palaiologos Laskaris appealed the case to the patriarchal tribunal requesting to nullify the donation on account of the inalienability of the dowry. After he received a favourable decision from the patriarch, he confirmed in June 1374 the donation of the village Mpresnitza to the Saint Panteleimon Monastery on Mount Athos as legal (τὸ μητρόθεν μοι περιελθὸν εἰς κληρονομίαν χωρίον περὶ τὴν Στρούμπιτζαν μὲν εὐρισκόμενον, Μπρέσνιτζαν δὲ ἐπονομαζόμενον, μετὰ πάσης ἧς νῦν ἔχει νομῆς καὶ περιοχῆς).
The horismos charter with the power of a chrysobullos charter issued by the Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) for the Zographu Monastery from February 1369 Source The Serbian Despot Ioan Uglješa (Ioannes Unklesis) confirmed in the charter issued in February 1369 the land of the Sarabare Monastery in the vicinity of Hierissos as an eternal property of the Zographu Monastery.
The prostagma charter of the Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for Georgios Batatses Phokopulos from April 1346 Source The Serbian Emperor Stefan Uroš IV Dušan confirmed the right of Georgios Phokopulos to build a second watermill on his property in a prostagma charter from April 1346.
The prostagma charter of the Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan for Raiko, the governor of Trilision and Brontu Source Rajko was asked by the Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan to not collect the toll from the 25 nomismata intented for Kyprianos, the Bishop of Pheremai. Rajko should also bring the prostagma, which was issued on this occasion between September and December 1345, to Kyprianos.
Tmorane Sveta Petka Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš II Milutin donated the kellion of St. Petka with its possessions to the Monastery of Hilandar on Mount Athos. According to Srdjan Pirivatrić King Milutin conquered the town of Skopje and its surroundings from the Byzantine Empire in the year 1282, but lost it to the Byzantines at some point between 1282 and 1298 and certainly reconquered it before 1298/99. That is why he issued his charter concerning the kellion of St. Petka after his reconquest, i.e. about 1299/1300.
Treskavac 1 Source After the conquest of the town of Prilep and its surrounding area, King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued a Slavonic charter in 1334/35 for the Monastery of Treskavec to the North of Prilep. He donated villages, settlements, abandoned lands, summer and winter pastures, watermills, metochia and churches as well as a fair in the town of Prilep to the monastery. Božidar Ferjančić argued that the second charter (Treskavac 2) for the Monastery of Treskavec is a forgery, while the first and third (Treskavac 1 and 3) are authentic. Djordje Bubalo advanced the opinion that the second charter (Treskavac 2) is an unofficial document based on the first and the third charter (Treskavac 1 and 3).
Treskavac 2 Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued a second Slavonic charter in 1343/44 for the Monastery of Treskavec to the North of Prilep. He confirmed current properties and donated further villages, settlements, abandoned lands, summer and winter pastures, watermills, metochia and churches in the region of Prilep to the monastery. Božidar Ferjančić argued that the second charter (Treskavac 2) for the Monastery of Treskavec is a forgery, while the first and third (Treskavac 1 and 3) are authentic. Djordje Bubalo advanced the opinion that the second charter (Treskavac 2) is an unofficial document based on the first and the third charter (Treskavac 1 and 3).
Treskavac 3 Source The Serbian King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan (reigned 1331-1355) issued a third Slavonic charter in 1344/45 for the Monastery of Treskavec to the North of Prilep. He confirmed current properties and donated further villages, settlements, abandoned lands, summer and winter pastures, watermills and mills, a mine, metochia and churches in the region of Prilep to the monastery. Božidar Ferjančić argued that the second charter (Treskavac 2) for the Monastery of Treskavec is a forgery, while the first and third (Treskavac 1 and 3) are authentic. Djordje Bubalo advanced the opinion that the second charter (Treskavac 2) is an unofficial document based on the first and the third charter (Treskavac 1 and 3).
Ulijara Source The Chrysobull of the Serbian king Stefan Uroš II Milutin regarding the abandoned village of a beekeeper near the river Bistrica in the proximity of Peć is a forgery from the 15th century. The biography of the Serbian king Stefan Uroš II Milutin, which forms a part of the the charter, shows similarities with Danilo's biography of Stefan Uroš II Milutin.
Štip St. Archangel Michael 1 Source The present charter is a forged document for the Monastery of Chilandar attributed to King Stefan Uroš II Milutin. It summarises the possessions of Chilandar and confirms earlier donations amongst others in the town of Štip and its surroundings. The document was created in the years 1371 to 1378 during a legal dispute with the Monastery of St. Panteleimon on Mount Athos based on the existing charter of King Stefan Uroš IV Dušan from the 1330s. The charter is attesting a state of possessions of the Church of St. Archangel Michael in Štip as they existed in the 1330s.
Štip St. Archangel Michael 2 Source The present charter is a falsified document of Stefan Uroš IV Dušan, which confirms the donation of the Church of St. Archangel Michael in Štip to the Monastery of Chilandar. The date given in the document is the year 1336, but, based on the king's signature and the changes in the typologies of the mentioned settlements, it seems that it has to be dated in the years before the coronation of Stefan Dušan to emperor (i.e. 1343 to 1345).