|Case Study||Beyond East and West: Sacred Landscapes Duklja and Raška|
After the devastating earthquakes in 1979, the Church was left damaged. Restoration works followed soon after, when frescoes were found in the dome, apse, South and West walls of the Western bay, indicating the early 14th century in terms of style and iconography.
A fresco of Christ Pantocrator is partially preserved in the dome, the Crucifixion is partially preserved in the apse, while the best preserved is the scene that begins the cycle of Christ's sufferings, which is Christ before Pilate, etc.
LiteratureAronberg Lavin 1990 — 21-22 , Djurić 1997 — 259 , Gamulin 1983 — 7 , Mijović 1970 — 289 , Vujičić 1985 — 291-301 , Vujičić 1995a — 365-378 , Vujičić 1999 , Vujičić 1999 , Vujičić 2007 — 232-233 , Živković 1999 — 119-155
|Kotor, Church of St. Mary (Collegiata)||Place||between 01.01.0500 and 01.01.0800||between 31.12.1221 and 31.12.1434||The Church of St. Mary Collegiata is located in the old town of Kotor on the Northern side. The first building was erected in the 6th century and was a three nave basilica with vaulted side naves, three semicircular apses on the Eastern side and a synthronon. The church fits typically into the Early Christian basilica architecture in the Eastern Adriatic. It was remodelled in the early 9th century. In the time of the Serbian King Stefan Radoslav (reigned 1228-1234) and the Bishop of Kotor in 1221, a new Romanesque single-nave church with an apse on the Eastern side and a dome over the middle aisle was built in the area of the middle nave of the original basilica. In the 14th century the building was fresco painted. Also fragments of plaster were found (both from the first and the second building phase). There are entrances (portals) on the Western and Southern side. On the lintel on the Southern entrance is an inscription in Latin. In 1434 the Chapel of St. John the Baptist was built on the Northern side of the church. A bell tower, situated on the North-Eastern side of the church, was erected in 1771, according to the Latin inscription placed on its Southern side. Relics of the local Saint Ozana are kept in the Church.|