|Case Study||Beyond East and West: Sacred Landscapes Duklja and Raška|
Four icons - Christ Pantocrator, Virgin Mary with baby Jesus, St. John the Baptist and St. Nicholas - adorned the middle part of the iconostasis partition of the Church of Christ Pantocrator in the Dečani Monastery.
The icons were made around 1343, and were in place until the end of the 16th century, when they were replaced by new ones (those will again be replaced in the fourth decade of the 20th century).
The icons are the work of one of the painters who painted the Catholicon of Dečani Monastery.
In addition to their exceptional artistic value, these icons are a rare early example of icons that have been preserved in their original place.