Ring of Stefan Konstantin Nemanjić

Begin 01.01.1322
ID 132995
System Class
Artifact Ring
Case Study Beyond East and West: Sacred Landscapes Duklja and Raška
Stylistic Classification Romanesque , Gothic

It is a gold ring with a representation of a double-headed eagle, discovered in a tomb of the Church of St. Stephen in Banjska. According to the latest research, it is believed to have belonged to Konstantin, the younger son of King Milutin and the brother of Stefan Dečanski. The ring dates back to 1322, when Constantine tragically died of unknown circumstances.
This seal ring has decoration visible in three segments - on the head (double-headed eagle), around the neck (inscription: May God help whoever wears it) and along the ring.
The skill of the work testifies to a goldsmith who worked in a Romano-Gothic artisan milieu, possibly in Italy.
The ring is kept in the National Museum in Belgrade, no. 26_342.


Places (1)
Name Class Begin End Description
Banjska Monastery, Church of St. Stephen Place 01.01.1313 31.12.1315 Banjska Monastery is situated by the Banjska river, near Zvečan in the North of Kosovo. It was built by King Milutin in 1313 to 1315, modelled on Studenica Monastery. Its a single nave edifice with a dome and tripartite altar space. To the North and South of the central part of the Church are choirs with paracclesions next to each. Narthex has two bell-towers on its Western end. The Church is rich with Romanesque sculptural decoration (it was probably made by the same artisans who worked in the Chilandar Monastery).The most prominent sculptural decoration is the statue of the Virgin with Christ as a child (kept in the nearby Monastery of Sokolica). Some frescoes have remained, mostly under the dome.