|Case Study||Beyond East and West: Sacred Landscapes Duklja and Raška|
The remains of frescoes found in the Church of St. Thomas in Kuti date back to the 11th century.
Fragments of frescoes reveal several saints' heads. They were probably made by Byzantine masters, as the similarity can be seen with the painting in the chapel and crypt of the Catholicon of the monastery of St. Luke in Fokida (Hosios Loucas), but also with the remains of wall painting in the Dubrovnik Cathedral and St. Nicholas in Koločep.
Today, the found fragments are kept in the Regional Museum of Herceg Novi.
|Kuti, Church of St. Thomas||Place||01.01.1075||31.12.1099||The Church of St. Thomas in Kuti near Herceg Novi was probably built in the last quarter of the 11th century. It is a single nave edifice with a semicircular apse in the East as well as with semicircular vaults and a dome, indicating a strong Byzantine influence. Fragments of fresco paintings and stone furnishings have been found. A remaining stone altar screen with two parapets indicates a new, Romanesque style. On the other hand, the fresco decoration (dated to the end of the 11th and the beginning of the 12th century) with heads of Saints points to Byzantine artists, having similarities with the frescoes in the chapel and crypt of the katholikon of the Monastery of Hosios Loukas in Phokis and the Church of St. Nicholas on the island of Koločep. The Church of St. Thomas is in ruins with walls preserved up to a maximum height of ca. 2,5 m.|