Chrysobull Charter of the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos granting to Zographou Monastery a tax exemption

Description

The Bulgarian Tsar Michael Asen IV requested the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos, who was his father-in-law, to grant for all possessions of the Zographou Monastery on Mount Athos a tax exemption. The Byzantine Emperor therefore issued in September 1327 a chrysobull charter, which corroborates all estates of the Zographou Monastery.

Relations

References (2)
Name Class Pages Description
Actes de Zographou Edition 58-61 (Nr. 26) Actes de Zographou (ed. Wilhelm Regel, Edouard Kurtz, Basile Korablev, St. Petersbourg 1907, reprinted Amerstdam 1969).
Pavlikianov 2014 Edition 293-296 (Nr. 28) Cyril Pavlikianov, The Mediaeval Greek and Bulgarian Documents of the Athonite Monastery of Zographou (980–1600). Critical Edition and Commenary of the Texts (Sofia 2014).
Places (1)
Name Class Begin End Description
Lestia, Summer Pasture Lakteba Place between 01.09.1327 and 30.09.1327 between 01.01.1357 and 31.12.1372 The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos donated the pasture Lakteba in Lestia near Melnik in September 1327 (ἔτι δὲ καὶ τὴν περὶ τὸν Μελενίκον εἰς τὰ Λέστια δημοσιακὴν πλανηνὴν τὴν Λάκτεβαν). The monks of the Zographou Monastery on Mount Athos requested the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III Palaiologos to allow them an exchange of property. The Byzantine Emperor Andronikos III granted the monks the summer pasture Tzerkbistan near Melnik in March 1328 and confirmed that they will use it instead of the property Laktebas in Lestia near Melnik (Καὶ ἀντὶ τῆς κατεχομένης παρ᾿αὐτῶν τῶν μοναχῶν διὰ τῶν δηλωθέντων χρυσοβούλλων περὶ τὸν Μελενίκον δημοσιακῆς πλανηνῆς τῆς οὕτως καλουμένης Λάκτεβας, ἐπιλάβηται καὶ κατέχη τὸ μέρος αὐτῶν, τὴν περὶ τὸν αὐτὸν τόπον τοῦ Μελενίκου, δημοσιακὴν ἑτέραν πλανηνὴν τὴν λεγομένην, Τζέρκβισταν, ἡ βασιλεία μου τὴν ζήτησιν καὶ παράκλησιν τῶν εἰρημένων μοναχῶν προσδεξαμένη). The forged chrysobull charter of the Byzantine Emperor Ioannes V Palaiologos, which is dated in the text to January 1342, but was produced between the year 1357 and 1372, confirmed the possesion of Tzerkbistan near Melnik by the Zographou Monastery (καὶ ἀντὶ τῆς πλανηνῆς τῆς λεγομένης Λάκτεβας τῆς κατεχομένης παρὰ τῶν δηλωθέντων μοναχῶν, ἐπιλαβέσθαι καὶ κατέχειν τὸν τόπον αὐτῶν, τὴν περὶ τόπον τοῦ Μεληνίκου δημοσιακὴν ἑτέραν πλανηνὴν τὴν λεγομένην Τζέρκβησταν).